Bed bugs are small, oval insects which feed on human blood. They are found in the crevices and seams of mattresses as well in other furniture. If you find bed bugs in your mattress in Sydney, then follow the steps given below to mattress cleaning in Sydney.
- Step 1: Remove all the sheets and pillowcases from the bed. If you have other cushions or blankets, especially with removable covers, then take them off the bed as well. Place all these covers in a disposable bag (preferably a garbage bag). This will avoid contamination. Wash these covers in hot water and not with other clothes in the washing machine.
- Step 2: Remove the pillow from your bed. If the infestation is really bad then throw away your pillow. Use a vacuum cleaner to thoroughly clean your mattress. It is best to use a vacuum cleaner with a hose attached to it. This makes it easy to clean all the crevices and seams. Bed bugs have a tendency of accumulating in these places.
After you have cleaned the entire mattress, take the vacuum cleaner outside and empty the bag. Do not do this inside the house as it might lead to further contamination. Clean the machine thoroughly as well. There should be no bed bugs left in the vacuum cleaner.
- Step 3: Keep a bed bug proof encasement ready. Once the mattress has been vacuumed, place the mattress and the box spring in the encasement. Bed bug encasements are designed to protect the mattress from all sides. Bed bugs are unable to bite through the covers and the encasement can be zipped tight to ensure that even the smallest of bed bugs cannot slip in or out.
If you have a serious bed bugs infestation then it is essential to keep the mattress and the box spring encased for a year. This will help make sure that all bed bugs and even the eggs can no longer cause any harm. One year is necessary because bed bugs can stay alive for several months without eating.
- Step 4: Bed bugs can remain on the headboard of the bed and inside the cracks in the bed frame. You need to get rid of these bugs as well. You can use insecticides to do so. However, remember to check the label on the insecticide bottle for instructions. Follow these instructions carefully because such chemicals are potentially hazardous.
- Step 5: If the bed is pushed to the wall, pull it forward away from the wall. Place bed bugs interceptor cups below the beds. If your bed has feet then place these cups below each foot. These interceptor cups contain insecticide and they trap bed bugs that might climb up to the bed.
When you place these interceptor cups, make sure no other part of the bed touches the floor or these cups. Remove the bed skirt or large blankets that might hang from the sides of the bed.
- Step 6: Bed bugs might be present on the floor. Vacuum the floor thoroughly at regular intervals.
If the bed bugs infestation grows and is at its worst, then you might need to change your bedding completely. Otherwise, the bugs will multiply and affect all parts of your house.
Read More Here: – How to Dry Clean A Memory Foam Mattress?